On Sunday, 26 September 2021, the CPUSA is hosting a webinar on China’s elimination of extreme poverty.
- Date: Saturday 26 September 2021
- Time: 8pm US Eastern, 7pm US Central, 5pm US Pacific
- Registration: Zoom
In 2021 China announced the elimination of extreme poverty, a historic accomplishment of socialism. Speakers from China and the USA will discuss the conditions of old China before the victory of the revolution in 1949: destitution, illiteracy and violence, as well as imperialist invasion and occupation. This will be followed by a discussion of today’s successful poverty alleviation program and the role of the Chinese Communist Party. The class will end with Q&A and discussion.
Speakers will include: Shen Ning (North American Bureau of Communist Party of China International Department), Norman Markowitz (Rutgers University); and Luo Xiaoping (sociologist from North China Electrical Power University).
- China Daily, chart with basic statistics on poverty and education, 1950s-2020
- Tricontinental Institute, “Serve the People, the Eradication of Extreme Poverty in China”
- Qiao Collective, “What Does It Mean to Eradicate Absolute Poverty”
- China Global Television Network video (15 minutes) on CPC cadre’s work in poverty alleviation